Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Zucchini and Parmesan Pasta


Zucchini and Parmesan Pasta
Makes 4 Servings
Recipe inspired by Cooking with My Kid

1 pound zucchini, grated
1 tbsp minced garlic, jarred
1 tbsp chopped basil
zest of 1 large lemon
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
11 oz. angel hair pasta
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tbsp + 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and basil. Cook for 3 minutes. Put grated zucchini in a colander, squeeze out some of the moisture then add it to the skillet. Turn heat down to medium low and continue to sauté veggies. When water is boiling, cook pasta for 6 minutes. Do not drain. Instead, use tongs to transfer cooked pasta into the skillet with the zucchini. Use the tongs to toss the pasta with the zucchini and cook for another few minutes until it is all combined. Then add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese and stir one more minute.

Nutritional Information: 374 calories, 57 carbs, 9 fat grams and 16 protein grams.

Review: Awesome. I can't get over what a great meat substitute zucchini is! Also, I've never grated zucchini. It couldn't be easier! The original recipe called for much more olive oil, no parmesan, more pasta, more servings, and no lemon juice. I didn't miss these items and liked the idea of 4 servings. And when I made it, I used a bit less zucchini - love the idea of a pound and think it would add a lot (so I changed it above). Also, I loved the garlic and red pepper flakes - great flavor. It tasted like a scampi - but with zucchini! I will make this again - loved the pasta and the lemony flavor - that zest goes such a long way!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Kelly, love your cooking site!! Thanks for this great recipe. Just wanted to let you know that I don't comment often but I do read both of your blogs daily!!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

That looks so light and delicious.

Have you always enjoyed cooking?